Friday, August 13, 2010

It was many years ago I first fell in love with gardening whilst dreaming of a way to make my surroundings more pleasant, and having access to many books on herbs and gardening. My first attempts at making things grow were heartfelt, but feeble. I still remember the first plant I bought, an ornamental sage of some kind. I was so proud as I unceremoniously planted it into our native clay soil, with little more than hope, and a dream.

I was always amazed that little plant soldiered through some rough treatment. Later I would learn that Salvia is ok with the abuse. It rewarded me with beautiful purple flowers, and years of enjoyment before finally succumbing to a combination of drought and strangulation. Never dream to grow healthy looking plants beneath a tulip tree. It isn't going to happen unless you enjoy digging up your flower bed every year to sort through the compacted roots.

I digress. My introduction to gardening by twilight came about 6 years ago, when I began helping a friend in her herb garden. Being in the yard in the evening makes sense, especially with California summers. This particular summer (2010) has been quite the exception, but it's normally unbearably hot all through June, July and August. As the sun disappeared beyond the tree line, we would joyfully mix a brew of fish emulsion and feed the herbs, water them, pull weeds, talk to them and stroke them gently to encourage the most vigorous growth. After a long day of work, an evening retreat to the garden has always been heaven to me.

There are benefits to gardening by twilight, and there are of course downfalls too. The biggest downfall being mosquito attack. Wait a little longer, and the little buggers (hee hee) are gone. The darker it gets the harder it is to see, and if you are intent on getting a project finished before bed, you'd better count on some additional lighting.

Late into the afternoon and into the evening plants are especially receptive to water, and as long as you aren't flinging water willy-nilly everywhere really late onto your leaves, you don't have to worry much about mold. In areas prone to Summer drought, like our beautiful piece of the Sierra Nevada, it helps allieviate drought stress since the plant will have all night and morning to get its fill of water before the Summer sun sucks the moisture from the soil.

This fall I am planning a moon garden for next year, a special corner of my garden made especially for enjoyment by twilight. This trend has been catching on for a few years now, and I'm ready to try out my own moon garden.

1 comment:

  1. For several years I saved an article that described what plants to put in the moonlight garden. If I remember correctly the article was titled "The White Garden," because most of the plants were white. I no longer have the article but I do have lots of shade. Some day I will get around to turning the dark spots in my yard into "wonderful vistas," okay, probably not, but at least have them looking a little brighter.

    ReplyDelete